picture of Elham Valley

Villages of the Elham Valley

The Elham Valley runs between Bridge, a village south-east of Canterbury, and Etchinghill, a village to the west of Folkestone. The valley follows the River Nailbourne, which is one of three intermittent streams on the chalk downs of East Kent, rising near Lyminge and flowing northwards to join the River Stour.

The Elham Valley Railway once ran through the area. Opening in two stages from 1887 it had stops at Bridge, Bishopsbourne, Barham, Elham and Lyminge. The line closed in 1947 after being handed over to the military during the Second World War and never regaining popularity. Today there can still be seen parts of brick bridges, culverts, tunnels, cuttings and embankments, as well as three station buildings now converted to other uses.

Much of the Elham Valley is in the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, through which meanders the Elham Valley Way footpath. There are many villages in or near the valley and more information is given below on some of the largest.

Les Villages de la Vallée d'Elham

La vallée d'Elham va de Bridge, un village au sud-est de Canterbury, à Etchinghill, un village à l'ouest de Folkestone. La vallée suit la Nailboume, un ruisseau qui coule par intermittence vers le nord, de sa source près de Lyminge à la rivière Stour.

Le chemin de fer de la vallée d'Elham a été inauguré en 1887. II suivait le trace de la vallée avec des gares à Bridge, Bishopsbourne, Barham, Elham et Lyminge. Pendant la 2ème guerre mondiale le chemin de fer a été requisitionné par l'armée. La ligne a finalement été demantelée à partir de 1947. Son manque de succès est dû à la popularité croissante des voitures et des autobus. On trouve encore ici et là quelques ponts en briques, des tunnels et 3 gares, dont 2 ont été convergés en demeures et la 3ème en bibliothèque publique.

La vallée d'Elham se trouve dans la région classée du "Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty". Un chemin de randonnée suit le cours de la vallée. On y trouve plusieurs villages, dont les plus importants sont décrits ci-dessous.


picture of Bridge

Bridge

Bridge has been an important village since the Roman occupation of England. There was probably a Roman bridge across the river. The village is situated on the old coaching route from Dover to London, known as Watling Street. In 2005 an archaeological dig unearthed a hexagon Anglo-Saxon temple in Star Hill. One of the first workhouses in Kent was built in 1837 in Union Road and the record book gives the names of many inmates who, forced by poverty, took up residence there.

A characteristic of Bridge are the large manor houses near the village. Bridge Place dates back to 1638, but only a fraction of the 17th century house remains. It was the home of the Braems family; Sir Arnold Braems was a merchant at the time of King Charles I and was responsible for the building of Dover harbour. Higham House was one of the largest country houses in East Kent in the 17th century. It is where Count Zebrovsky lived and where he built the original racing car, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, in the early 1920s.

St. Peter's Church is built in characteristic Kentish flint and lies at the southeast end of the High Street. A chapel has stood on the site since Norman times, the remains of which can be seen principally in the West door, but the church was extensively restored and enlarged towards the end of the 19th century. The Methodist Chapel in Patrixbourne Road is a corrugated structure built in 1894, one of only two similarly built churches in the country.

There are three pubs in the village. The White Horse Inn, in the centre of the village, is thought to have mediaeval origins. Extended and re-roofed in the Regency period, its main function was as a staging post on the busy London road. The Red Lion Inn, possibly the oldest pub in Bridge, was built in the reign of Elizabeth I in 1593 and has traded under this name since 1633. It has undergone many changes over the years with major extensions in Georgian and Victorian times. Again, its main business came from travellers on the old Roman Road that linked Dover and London. The Plough and Harrow Inn is a traditional English village pub which regularly features in CAMRA's Good Beer Guide. Bridge and Patrixbourne Church of England School, which opened on its present site in 1971, is a voluntary controlled school serving the surrounding villages of Bridge, Patrixbourne, Lower Hardres, Bekesbourne and Bishopsbourne, with around 375 pupils aged 4-11.

Bridge has an adult population of about 1500, with nearly 30% being over the age of 60. The village has a mixture of both old and new properties, with the oldest dating from the 12th century. Bridge is well served with shops and services, including a small supermarket, a post office and pharmacy, butchers and bakery.

picture of Bridge

Bridge

Bridge est un grand village, qui existe depuis l'invasion romaine de l'Angleterre. Il s'y trouvait probablement un pont (bridge). Le village se trouve sur l'ancienne route romaine (Watling Street) qui reliait Douvres à Londres. En 2005, lors de fouilles archéologiques, un temple hexagonal anglo-saxon a été découvert à Star Hill.

Une des premières maisons dans le Kent où les pauvres étaient logés (workhouse) a été construite dans Union Street en 1837. Le registre, qui existe encore, contient le nom de nombreux pauvres qui étaient forcés à y habiter.

Bridge se caractérise par le nombre de grands manoirs qui se trouvent dans ses environs. Bridge Place date de 1638, mais très peu de la bâtisse du 17ème siècle a survécu jusqu'à nos jours. La famille Braems y habitait; Sir Arnold Braems était un marchand pendant le règne du roi Charles 1er, et on lui doit la construction du port de Douvres. Higham House était un des manoirs les plus imposants dans l'est de Kent au 17ème siècle. C'était la demeure du comte Zebrovsky, qui dans les années 1920 a créé la fameuse voiture de course nommée Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

L'église de St Peter est construite en silex typique du Kent et se trouve au sud-est de la rue principale (High Street). Une chapelle a existé sur ce site depuis l'époque normande, mais l'église qui s'y trouve aujourd'hui a été reconstruite et agrandie vers la fin du 19ème siècle. La chapelle méthodiste dans Patrixbourne Road date de 1894. Elle est construite en tole ondulée et il n'existe qu'un seul autre exemple de ce style d'église dans le pays.

Il y a trois pubs dans le village. Le White Horse Inn dans le centre de Bridge a des origines médiévales. Le pub a été agrandit et un nouveau toit a été ajouté pendant la période de la Régence (1811 - 1820). A l'époque le pub servait principalement comme relais pour les malles poste et les attelages allant vers Londres. Le Red Lion Inn est probablement le plus ancien pub du village, datant du règne d'Elizabeth 1 en 1593. Son nom remonte a 1633. Le batiment original a subit de nombreuses modifications, notamment sous les règnes de George et de Victoria. Le pub servait principalement aux voyageurs empruntant l'ancienne route romaine reliant Douvres à Londres. Le 3ème pub, le Plough and Harrow, qui est tenu par un membre de l'association de jumelage, est très traditionnel. Il figure régulièrement dans le guide anglais de la bonne bière (CAMRA).

L'école de Bridge et de Patrixbourne existe sur son site actuel depuis 1971. Elle dessert aussi les villages avoisinants de Lower Hardres, Bekesbourne et Bishopsbourne. On y compte 375 enfants agés de 4 a 11 ans.

Bridge a une population adulte de 1.500 habitants, dont un tiers est agé de plus de 60 ans. Il y a un mélange d'habitations anciennes et modernes dans le village. La plus ancienne date du 12ème siecle. Parmi les commerces à Bridge, il y a une supérette, un bureau de poste, une pharmacie, une boucherie et une boulangerie.


picture of Kingston

Kingston

Once spelt "Kingstone" it is considered that the name derives from the old Jutish kingdoms, but today it exists as little more than a quiet hamlet and never grew like other settlements along the valley. The main features of interest are associated with the church, its yew trees, old flint walls and homely cottages gathered around.

St. Giles Church was largely rebuilt in the 14th century, but the nave and chancel walls are 12th century or possibly Saxon. The Black Robin pub was built in the 18th or early 19th century and was named after a local highwayman, who ended his days on a gallows on Barham Downs on the edge of the village. Here armies used to assemble for campaigns abroad, from the Romans in 54 BC to the British Army on the way to The Field of the Cloth of Gold. Horse racing was also held on the Downs and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is reported to have watched the racing here in the mid 18th century. One of the artefacts discovered in a Saxon burial mound above Kingston in the 1770s was the Kingston brooch, of ornate gold inlaid with garnets, blue glass and white shell.

The surrounding countryside comprises fields for cultivation and grazing, with coniferous plantations to the west, but the dominant feature is parkland. The route of the old Elham Valley Railway, which closed in 1947, is mostly out of the valley here because the railway contractors were obliged to dig deep into the downs to pass behind the large estates. During the second world war, a 250 ton 18" military gun, called the "Boche Buster", was hidden in neighbouring Bourne Park tunnel and was to be used in the event of an invasion. Bourne Park dates back to Domesday, but the house is of the Queen Anne period, built in 1702 and considered to be the best specimen in Kent. Charlton Mansion dates from the Tudor period, replacing an earlier house, but it was greatly extended in 1810 on the instructions of the Prince Regent (later George IV).

Kingston comprises approximately 200 dwellings and there are around 390 inhabitants, but there is no school or shop.


picture of Kingston

Kingston

Le nom Kingston est un dérivé de "Kingstone" d'origine jute. Aujourd'hui c'est un hameau tranquille qui ne s'est pas développé comme les villages avoisinants. L'église est particulièrement intéressante, avec ses anciens ifs, ses murs en silex et les cottages modestes groupés tout autour. L'église de St Giles a été reconstruite au 14ème siècle, mais la nef et le chœ datent du 12ème siècle.

Le Black Robin pub existe depuis la fin du 18ème ou le début du 19ème siècle. Son nom commémore le bandit de grand chemin, qui a finalement été pendu à la potence près du village. Les Barham Downs étaient le point de rassemblement pour les armées préparant leurs campagnes outre-Manche, tels les Romains en 54 avant JC et les armées anglaises en route vers le Camp du Drap d'Or (rencontre entre François 1er et Henry VIII près de Lille). C'était aussi un lieu de rencontre pour des course hippiques, et Mozart est réputé y avoir assisté vers 1850. Une fouille archéologique d'un tombeau saxon dans les années 1770 a découvert la broche de Kingston, en or et décorée de grenats, de verre bleu et de nacre blanche. La broche est l'emblème du hameau.

Dans la campagne avoisinante on voit des champs, des prairies, des bois de conifères, mais surtout les parcs appartenant aux grands domaines. Ce qui reste de l'ancien chemin de fer de la vallée n'est pas très visible ici, parce que les grands domaines ont insisté pour qu'il ne soit pas vu sur leurs terres, d'où la nécessité de construire des tunnels et des déviations. Pendant la 2ème guerre mondiale un canon de 250 tonnes nommé "Boche Buster" ou démolisseur de Boche, était caché dans le tunnel sous le domaine de Bourne Park. Il aurait été utilisé dans l'éventualité d'une invasion. Bourne Park figure dans le Domesday Book (le 1er recensement national officiel de propriétés en Europe, en 1086), mais le manoir que l'on voit aujourd'hui a été construit en 1702 pendant le règne de la reine Anne. C'est une des plus belle demeure de ce style dans le Kent. Charlton Park date des Tudors. Il remplace une demeure plus ancienne, et a été fort agrandi en 1810 sous les ordres du Prince Regent (le futur George IV). Il y a 200 habitations à Kingston et une population de 390 personnes, mais le village n'a pas d'école ou de commerces.


picture of Barham

Barham

Barham dates from Saxon times ("ham" meaning settlement or homestead) and has an entry in the Domesday book. Barham was originally located around The Street, in which the church, pub and shops were located, but was linked with the adjacent village of Derringstone in the 1960s by modern housing development. Derringstone also had a number of shops and its own pubs on Derringstone Hill. Barham school is in the centre of the village and the oldest part of its buildings has a distinctive Gothic bell tower. A brick and tile works once existed in Barham, providing local building materials from the clay soil.

The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and was built during the 13th and 14th centuries. It is noteworthy for its 15th century kingpost roof and green copper spire and possesses a beautiful window depicting St. George slaying the dragon. A Methodist Chapel is situated on Derringstone Hill. Barham Court, near the church, was originally the court lodge of the manor of Barham, where manorial courts were held annually giving jurisdiction over local matters. The main part of the present house was rebuilt in 1735, but a surviving wing is of the 1600s. One of the assassins of Thomas Becket is reputed to have lived here. Lord Kitchener of Khartoum once owned the nearby Broome Park, which is a fine example of a Carolean mansion, circa 1635, and is now a golf and country club. Barham Church of England primary school serves Barham, Kingston and other neighbouring villages, with currently around 200 pupils aged 4-11.

There is only one shop/post office and one pub for the whole village of approximately 1000 adult residents.

picture of Barham

Barham

Barham date de l'époque saxonne ("ham" en saxon veut dire ferme ou village). Barham figure dans le Domesday Book. A l'origine le centre du village se trouvait le long de la Street, où se trouvaient l'église, le pub et les commerces. Le village a été relié à celui de Derringstone dans les années 1960, avec la construction de nouvelles maisons entre les deux. Derringstone avait aussi ses propres commerces et ses pubs. L'école de Barham se trouve au centre du village actuel. La plus ancienne partie de l'école se reconnaît par le clocher de style gothique. Le village avait sa propre fabrique de briques et de tuiles, utilisant l'argile local.

L'église de St Jean Baptiste date des 13ème et 14ème siècles. A noter le plafond en poutre du type Kingpost du 15ème siècle, la flèche en cuivre couvert de verdigris et le vitrail représentant St George tuant le dragon. Une chapelle méthodiste se trouve sur la Derringstone Hill.

Barham Court, près de l'église, servait de court de justice pour le manoir de Barham. Un tribunal s'y tenait annuellement. La partie principale de la demeure actuelle a été reconstruite en 1735, mais une aile date des années 1600. Un des assassins de Thomas à Becket est réputé y avoir habité. Broome Park est une autre propriété dans les environs, appartenait à Lord Kitchener de Karthoum (le ministre de la guerre pendant la 1ère guerre mondiale). C'est un bel exemple de manoir de l'époque de Charles 1er construit en 1635, et qui sert maintenant de golf et de country club.

L'école de Barham dessert aussi Kingston et d'autres villages avoisinants. On y compte 200 élèves âgés de 4 à 11 ans.

Il n'y a qu'un commerce, une épicerie qui est aussi le bureau de poste, pour une population de 1.000 adultes.


picture of Elham

Elham

Elham, pronounced "Eel-am", dates from Saxon times, but numerous prehistoric and Roman artifacts have been found at various locations and it is likely that it was an important place during the Roman period. Some claim the name derives from the number of eels in the Nailboume centuries ago, others insist it was originally the homestead of one named Ula ("Ulaham" as mentioned in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 855 AD), whilst Domesday records it as "Alham".

In times past, Elham was the most important settlement in the valley and once a flourishing market town. The Square or old Market Place of Elham adjoins the churchyard on the north side and dates from 1251 when Edward I granted a market to the town. This was held every week until about 1830, when the old market booths which backed onto the churchyard were made into cottages. These were demolished in 1940 and the site planted with shrubs. The remaining buildings are of varying ages, but give the square a pretty, old-world feel. The wide part of the High Street was the site of the annual Horse Fair which was held every Monday before Easter until about 1840. One of Elham's oldest buildings stands here, the "Abbot's Fireside", which dates from 1614. This is now a hotel/restaurant. The Duke of Wellington is reputed to have established a headquarters here while marshalling his troops.

Rope-Walk House in the High Street marks the place where rope was made from locally grown flax. The old Poor's House and the Master's House, now private residences in the High Street, were once used to house the poor, before a new workhouse was built in Etchinghill.

The original church mentioned in Domesday disappeared and the present structure, dedicated to St. Mary, was built around 1200, with the western tower and spire being added in the 14th century and further rebuilding in the 15th century. Of interest inside is a 15th century stained glass window depicting Thomas à Becket and a 700-year-old yew chest hewn from a solid log. A Methodist Chapel is situated in the High Street.

There are two pubs in the village. The 16th century Rose and Crown was once a staging post for horse-drawn carriages and still retains a large yard and stables. Its upstairs rooms were once used for a fortnightly magistrates' court. The Kings Arms in The Square has a tiled façade hiding the original mediaeval building, and behind remain the old buildings where ale was brewed. There is also a new restaurant in the High Street.

The village school is situated opposite the village green and has around 120 pupils aged 4-11. Currently Elham has a population of around 2000 and has several shops, including a village store, post office/gift shop and estate agent.

picture of Elham

Elham

Elham se prononce "île-am" et remonte aux temps saxons, bien que de nombreux objets préhistoriques et romains ont été trouvés dans les environs, indiquant qu'il y avait déjà des habitants ici pendant la période romaine. L'origine du nom, d'après certains, indique que dans le passé il y avait des anguilles (eel) dans le ruisseau Nailbourne. D'autres pensent qu'une ferme sur le site appartenait à un certain Ula ("Ulaham" est le nom retrouvé dans une charte anglo-saxonne de 855), tandis que dans le Domesday Book le nom employé est "Alham".

Dans le passé Elham était le village le plus important dans la vallée avec son propre marché. La place du marché est le Square actuel devant l'église et date de 1251 quand le roi Edward 1 a accordé les droits à Elham pour y tenir un marché. Ce marché hebdomadaire a continué jusqu'en 1830. Les échoppes le long du mur du cimetière ont été remplacées par des cottages, qui eux-mêmes ont été démolis en 1940 et remplacés par des plates-bandes. Les autres demeures autour de la place varient en âge, donnant un aspect fort pittoresque.

Sur la partie élargie de la High Street se tenait chaque année, le lundi avant Pâques, une foire aux chevaux. La tradition a disparu en 1840. Un des bâtiments les plus anciens à Elham se trouve ici. Il s'agit de l'Abbots Fireside datant de 1614, qui est maintenant un hôtel restaurant. Le Duc de Wellington y avait son état-major pendant qu'il organisait ses troupes avant de traverser la Manche. Rope-Walk House dans la High Street indique la présence d'une cordellerie. Poor House et Master's House, aussi dans la High Street, étaient la maison pour les pauvres.

L'église qui est mentionnée dans le Domesday Book a disparu et l'église actuelle, dédiée à Ste Marie, a été construite dans les années 1200. La tour à l'ouest et la flèche ont été ajoutées au 14ème siècle et d'autres travaux datent du 15ème siècle. A noter à l'intérieur un vitrail de Thomas à Becket et un coffre en if qui a 700 ans. Une chapelle méthodiste se trouve dans la High Street.

II y a deux pubs dans le village. Le Rose and Crown du 16ème siècle, servait de relais pour les attelages. Les écuries, que l'on voit encore autour de la court à côté du bâtiment principal, servent de chambres d'hôte. Des pièces au premier étage servaient de tribunal tous les 15 jours. Dans le Square, la façade actuelle du King's Arms cache l'architecture médiévale originale. Les bâtiments derrière servaient de brasserie. Il y a aussi un restaurant assez récent dans la High Street, le Blue Vinny.

L'école se trouve en face de la place gazonnée (village green). On y compte 120 enfants âgés de 4 à 11 ans. Elham a une population de 2.000 personnes et plusieurs commerces, y compris une supérette, un bureau de poste, une agence immobilière et un antiquaire.


picture of Lyminge

Lyminge

There has been a settlement at Lyminge at least since the Roman period and it was also a significant ecclesiastical centre in Anglo-Saxon times. Its name is thought to be derived from the river Limen, a watercourse long since disappeared. During the medieval and early modern periods Lyminge was a small rural settlement. However, with the arrival of the railway in the late 19th century it developed as a small agricultural market town, due largely to the livestock centre and auction mart held there. The only surviving weatherboard station on the former Elham Valley railway line is now a public library.

The church of St. Mary and St. Ethelburga is close to the site of the nunnery and monastery founded about 633 AD by St. Ethelburga, who was the daughter of King Ethelburt of Kent. The church dates from about 965 AD, when it was rebuilt by St. Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury. It incorporates part of an earlier small basilican church which lay immediately to the south. There is also a Methodist Chapel in Church Road.

Across the road from the church is St. Eadburg's (Ethelburga's) Well, a well house over a spring, which may well be the main source of the Nailbourne. The present canopy and chain pump were erected in 1898. Lyminge CE Primary School is situated near the church and has around 200 pupils aged 4-11. The population of Lyminge is approximately 2500, and the village is well served with shops and services, including a pub, restaurant, pharmacy, public library, general store, post office/shop and estate agents.

picture of Lyminge

Lyminge

Lyminge est habité depuis la période romaine et était aussi un centre ecclésiastique important sous les Anglo-Saxons. Le nom dérive de la rivière Limen, qui a disparu il y a longtemps. Au Moyen Age Lyminge était un petit hameau rural. Mais avec l'arrivée du chemin de fer au 19ème siècle le village est devenu une petite ville avec son propre marché, dû en grande partie à la vente aux enchères de bétail qui s'y tenait régulièrement. La gare de Lyminge est devenue une petite bibliothèque publique.

L'église de St Mary & Ste Ethelburga se trouve près du site du couvent et du monastère fondés par Ste Ethelburga en 633. Elle était la fille du roi Ethelburt de Kent. L'église date de 965, quand elle a été reconstruite par St Dunstan, archevêque de Canterbury. Il y a une chapelle méthodiste dans Church Road.

En face de l'église se trouve le puit de St Eadburg (Ethelburga), réputé être la source de la Nailboume. Le toit au dessus du puit date de 1898.

L'école de Lyminge se trouve près de l'église et compte 200 élèves de 4 à 11 ans. 2.500 personnes habitent à Lyminge, et le village a plusieurs commerces: un pub, un restaurant, une pharmacie, une supérette, et un bureau de poste parmi d'autres.


Home   -   The aims of EVTA   -   Who's who in EVTA?   -     "Elham en Beaujolais"   -    
events for your diary   -    links to other websites   -     le Jumelage Nouveau   -     EVTA membership   -    enquiries